- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and salt; stir to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down and divide into 20 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-in. long strip; twist into a pretzel shape. Combine baking soda and cold water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 20 pretzels.
Originally published as Homemade Pretzels in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p54
Reviews for Homemade Pretzels(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2009
This a a great recipe for small children. I made them with my 3 year old class to "sell" at their "bakery". They couldn't roll them 15" long, so they were pretty fat, but they baked just fine.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizer Snack Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chips >
- Father's Day Appetizers >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Pretzel Recipes >