Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 5 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, hard-cooked eggs, celery, onions, salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 314 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Homemade Potato Salad
"The title of the recipe says it all: This is a version of the potato salad I remember eating as a child. I like the addition of the hard-cooked eggs, although you could leave them out, and the salad would taste just as good. If you like a creamier potato salad, you can increase the amount of mayonnaise used to 1 cup."