MY BEST recipes are from friends and family. This one came from my aunt - I learned to cook by watching and helping her. I have so many family favorites that I created my own cookbook. I print it out, illustrate and annotate it to give new brides. It is always well received and treasured. -Patty Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 5 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, hard-cooked eggs, celery, onions, salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Potato Salad in Reminisce May/June 2000, p45
Reviews for Homemade Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review