Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
For years, I had trouble finding a pizza my family likes. So I started making my own. The evening I served it to company and they asked for my recipe. I thought, "I finally got it right!" When I prepare my sauce, I usually fix enough for three to four pizzas and freeze it. Feel free to spice up my sauce to suit your own family's tastes. —Cheryl Kravik, Spanaway, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Rinse four 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and paste. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- 3. Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers. Freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen sauce in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 4 cups.
1 serving (1 each) equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC