Homemade Pizza Sauce
Meet the Cook: For years, I had trouble finding a pizza my family likes. So I started making my own. The evening I served it to company and they asked for my recipe. I thought, "I finally got it right!"
When I prepare my sauce, I usually fix enough for three to four pizzas and freeze it. Feel free to spice up my sauce to suit your own family's tastes.
My husband and I just built a new hous
18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and paste.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring
- constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring
- occasionally. Cool.
- Pour into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Freeze for
- up to 12 months. Yield: about 4 cups.
Editor's Note: Use the sauce with crust and toppings of your choice to make a pizza; 1-1/3 cups of sauce will cover a crust in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.