- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse four 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and paste. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers. Freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen sauce in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 4 cups.
Reviews for Homemade Pizza Sauce
"...always loved the inclusion of a tiny taste of licorice as a slight background note to a pasta/pizza sauce. although I use anise seed instead of fennel seed, they both provide a terrific flavor-good job"
"I make this regularly. The first time I didn't have any fennel so I made it without and we didn't miss it so I never use it. I like it best with a little sausage in it or some Parmesan cheese in it. Very yummy!"
"This an excellent recipe, I love it with the Fennel. I also like that it didn't have sugar in it."
"Good! Will make again, added some basill (didnt have any fennel)"
"I absolutely love this recipe! I agree with some of the other reviewers, the fennel is what really makes the sauce great :) My only modifications are the use of fresh onion and garlic."