Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 fresh baby carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Pasta Sauce
Sort By :
"I am 100% Italian and all my family uses canned tomatoes, sauce, or paste and1/2 of us use carrots in our sauce. Even my 2 grandmothers and aunt from Italyused canned."
"Who cares if it's "authentic" Italian sauce. Just make it & enjoy it. Fresh tomato is always preferred, but canned work well too. I'll bet if you looked, you'd find some authentic Italians who say this sauce is pretty good eating."
"I haven't made this yet, but had to speak to the negative comments about canned items and carrots. Check out real Italian sauce recipes from Lydia Bastiannich and Biba Gagliano. They both use canned tomatoes and carrots, along with onions and celery in their sauce recipes. Even Italians have to use canned tomatoes and the best ones are San Marzano only sold in cans."
"I ended up using all oregano instead of 1/2 oregano 1/2 basil because I was out of basil but it was really really good. The spices in it are strong but it tasted really good on angel hair pasta."
"I made this sauce because I had everything on hand to make it and I was not dissappointed--it was very good. My whole family enjoyed it and it made my house smell terrific!! I will make again Thanks TOH"