Homemade Pasta Salad Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Leaf lettuce
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, for dressing, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, garlic salt, mustard and pepper in a bowl; set aside. Rinse pasta in cold water and drain well; set aside.
- 2. Cut the tips off six asparagus spears; chop the remaining asparagus. Place chopped asparagus and tips and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; pat dry. Set aside asparagus tips for garnish.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chopped asparagus, ham onion, red pepper and cheese. Add dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl; garnish with asparagus tips. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 293 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Homemade Pasta Salad
"Was looking for something that was light, healthy, different and EASY. This hit all the marks I omitted the ham since I was using this as a side dish. Second version was again omitted ham but put chicken breast and changed the dressing. I used Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Greek Vinaigrette with Feta Cheese & Oregano dressing. Added some sliced Greek olives and it was wonderful as a main meal."