Homemade Muffin Mix Recipe
Whether your family prefers sweet or savory muffins, you can satisfy them with this versatile muffin mix. Included are directions to prepare plain, cheddar and cinnamon-raisin muffins. —Audrey Thibodeau, Gilbert, Arizona
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- FOR CHEDDAR MUFFINS:
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- FOR CINNAMON-RAISIN MUFFINS:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (10 cups).
- 2. To prepare plain muffins: Place 2-1/2 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- 3. To prepare cheddar muffins: In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups muffin mix, cheese, bacon and chives. Whisk egg and milk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened. Fill muffin cups and bake as directed for plain muffins.
- 4. To prepare cinnamon-raisin muffins: In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups muffin mix, raisins and cinnamon. Whisk egg and milk; stir into raisin mixture just until moistened. Fill muffin cups and bake as directed for plain muffins. Yield: 1 dozen per batch.
1 serving (1 each) equals 147 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Muffin Mix
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC