Homemade Muffin Mix Recipe
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- FOR CHEDDAR MUFFINS:
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- FOR CINNAMON-RAISIN MUFFINS:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (10 cups).
- 2. To prepare plain muffins: Place 2-1/2 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- 3. To prepare cheddar muffins: In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups muffin mix, cheese, bacon and chives. Whisk egg and milk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened. Fill muffin cups and bake as directed for plain muffins.
- 4. To prepare cinnamon-raisin muffins: In a bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups muffin mix, raisins and cinnamon. Whisk egg and milk; stir into raisin mixture just until moistened. Fill muffin cups and bake as directed for plain muffins. Yield: 1 dozen per batch.
1 each: 147 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Muffin Mix
"THESE ARE INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS!!! SO handy to have ready to go in the pantry!! I have used both blueberries and chocolate chips and they turned out amazing!"
"I will use this recipe from now on. These are so much better than what I have bought at the store and they are gorgeous!"
"Simple and easy. I used for blueberry muffins and it worked perfectly."
"A staple for every household! I LOVE this simple and easy mix."
"Perfect. I had lazy days when I felt like making up a batch of muffins but didn't feel like getting out all the ingredients at the time. I know some of you understand what I'm saying. Now with this mix recipe I get to mix them up so fast & easy, they are in the oven in no time. The muffins turn out so good. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us. The recipe is sure a lot cheaper than buying a mix at the store & I know what's in it too."