- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and rained
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, yeast, salt and sugar. In a saucepan, heat water, milk and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Beat in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread salsa over crust. Top with the beans, chicken, onion, chilies, cheese, tomato, jalapeno and cilantro. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 slices.
Originally published as Mexican Pizza in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p5
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Mexican Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review