- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (24 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained or 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the picante sauce, beans, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Spread one-third of meat mixture in one 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish or two 8-in. square baking dishes. Top with half of Monterey Jack cheese, half of cottage cheese mixture and six tortillas (tear tortillas if necessary to cover cheese more completely). Repeat layers, ending with meat. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Garnish with green onions and serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Lasagna in Country Ground Beef 1993, p85
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Homemade Mexican Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
This is a very easy dish to make. My children love the different take on lasagna.:)