- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
"I make this every year with the tomatoes from my garden and have tomato sauce all year long. It is great."
"This is way too sweet for our taste, fairly bland as well. Great use for garden tomatoes, but still searching for a secret ingredient that can give this some flavor and something to take away the sweetness. Very disappointed."
"Best sauce I ever made!!!"
"Excellent! I added fresh basil & doubled the garlic."
"This sauce is sweeter than I like. Of course, next time I can reduce the sugar but does anyone have any idea what I can do for this completed batch to reduce the sweet taste?"