When my tomatoes ripen, the first things I make are BLTs and this homemade spaghetti sauce. —Sondra Bergy, Lowell, Michigan
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Meatless Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p12
Reviews for Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review