Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
When my tomatoes ripen, the first things I make are BLTs and this homemade spaghetti sauce. —Sondra Bergy, Lowell, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours YIELD:16 servings
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 quarts.
1/2 cup (calculated without spaghetti) equals 133 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC