My family and friends are always impressed with these meatballs, which I serve with homemade sauce. The recipe came from an old friend of Italian descent. The mashed potatoes guarantee that the meatballs stay moist.—Lucille Bilodeau, Lewiston, Maine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, celery salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, potatoes, onion, salt, celery salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Add spaghetti sauce; heat through. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Meatballs in The Best of Country Cooking Annual 2009, p70
Reviews for Homemade Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2013
"just cooking them now. yes or no.?seems like it may work."
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2012
"Good flavor but a little light on traditional Italian taste. Would add garlic, Italian seasoning and maybe a little crushed red pepper when making it again"