Homemade Meatball Lasagna Recipe
Addella Thomas of Mt. Sterling, Illinois crumbles leftover meatballs into the homemade spaghetti sauce she uses in this cheesy lasagna. "My family wants me to make this dish all the time. It goes over well at reunions, too."—Addella Thomas, Mt. Sterling, Illinois
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Garlic salt to taste
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 24 frozen fully cooked meatballs (1 inch), thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Crumble meatballs into the sauce. In a small bowl, combine egg and ricotta cheese. Spoon 1 cup of the meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the noodles, ricotta mixture, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Meatball Lasagna in Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers 2009, p203
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Homemade Meatball Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review