Homemade Maple-Walnut Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk to 175°. Combine eggs and honey. Whisk in a small amount of the hot mixture to the egg mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- 2. Cook over low heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and maple flavoring. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. For each batch, add some of the walnuts during the 5 minutes of processing. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup equals 358 calories, 29 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Maple-Walnut Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.