- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 48 milk chocolate kisses
- Coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 3 cups coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape into 1-in. balls and roll in the remaining coconut. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool on pan 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is softened. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Homemade Macaroon Kisses
"Love this recipe, however, be careful to read the amount with the cream cheese as "ounces" not 1 pkg . Easy to be confused as there are no 3 oz cream cheese sizes in my stores ,I mistakenly used one 8 oz pkg the first time and it was dry as "1 pkg" caught my eye, but then did the 3 oz amount, perfect, and I now add 2 tsp of coconut extract/flavor as well, really adds more coconut flavor"
"Dry cookie - have made twice with same result"
"I measured everything to the tee. Tested oven, used air bake cookie sheets,Mounds Coconut(moister),some I placed dark chocolate, some milk,and some with maraschino cherries and swirled melted chocolate over top!! Looked FANTASTIC and tasted even better..I served at party and WOW..what a success!! Thank You greatly for sharing this recipe!!"
"Not many friends liked them . Very dry. Will not make them again"
"Another great keeper recipe, these will be on my Xmas cookie list every year. Raves all around and no tedious dipping into chocolate. Hersheys original recipe calls for 2 tsps of orange juice along with the extract. I tried them that way after making them with this recipe. The o.j. makes them even more moist, but these arent dry as is, they are soft because of the cream cheese. I use a cookie scoop to make the perfect portion size. Almond kisses make them taste like an almond joy, so good..would be good with dark chocolate as well. I had to update...my cousin tried these & asked me to bring to her ugly sweater party, another hit. My neighbor is now addicted to these, I am making her a whole batch so she can share with her friends. P.s. I never used the coarse sugar, they are plenty sweet as is."