- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
- Assorted decorating gels
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Assorted candies: gum drops, sour spaghetti candy and peanut M&Ms
- In a large bowl, cream sugars and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Lightly flour hands and shape dough into 24 balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Insert a Popsicle stick or skewer into each.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Create faces as desired with frosting, decorating gels, mini chips and candies. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lollipop Cookies in Country April/May 1991, p49
Reviews for Homemade Lollipop Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 18, 2009
"I know I'm going to have to double the recipe, 24 are not going to be enough!!"
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2009
"Wow, you are a wonderful grandma...I loved the recipe..Thanks for sharing.."
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2009
"lOOKS SO CUTE!! GOING TO TRY IT!!"