Homemade Lime Sherbet
My luncheon guests are always impressed when I serve this smooth, refreshing dessert garnished with candied edible flowers. The sherbet's lime flavor is so pleasant!
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches 175°.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Stir in the lime juice, peel and food coloring if desired. Freeze in
- an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer sherbet to a 2-1/2-qt. freezer container. Allow to soften
- slightly; fold in whipped topping. Freeze for at least 4 hours
- before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.