Homemade Lentil Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add lentils and barley; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 304 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,356 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.