“Green chilies and fresh ginger add zip to this thick meatless stew. It can be served as is or with a tablespoon of sour cream on top,” suggests Erin Monroe from Oviedo, Florida.
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add lentils and barley; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Barley Stew in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p35
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Homemade Lentil Barley Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review