- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add lentils and barley; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Homemade Lentil Barley Stew
Sort By :
"We love it! I'ts spicy and so tasty. We like it with sour cream stirred in. Doubling it is a must for left-overs! My husband is a 'meat-etarian' but enjoys this dish."
"We love it. But next time I would double it so we have left-overs for lunch the next day! :) Great recipe and the ginger is excellent in it!!"
"It's so nice to find recipes for 2, so you don't have a ton of leftovers in the frig, but mine turned out very spicy! I used the store brand tomatoes with green chilies, and they certainly weren't mild! Still, it had good flavor. I just read cookswife81's review, and I'm definitely going to squeeze some lime juice on the leftover bowl."
"This was so good!"
"Super! will make again and again."