Homemade Lentil Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add lentils and barley; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and barley are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Homemade Lentil Barley Stew(6)
Sort By :
We love it. But next time I would double it so we have left-overs for lunch the next day! :) Great recipe and the ginger is excellent in it!!
It's so nice to find recipes for 2, so you don't have a ton of leftovers in the frig, but mine turned out very spicy! I used the store brand tomatoes with green chilies, and they certainly weren't mild! Still, it had good flavor. I just read cookswife81's review, and I'm definitely going to squeeze some lime juice on the leftover bowl.
This was so good!
Super! will make again and again.
This is my kind of food. I did not have cumin on hand, so i used chili powder. I will make it again, my husband loved it
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Soups & Stews for Two >
- Soups, Stews & Chilies Recipes For Two >