This old-fashioned thirst quencher comes from field editor Becky Baird of Salt Lake City, Utah. Club soda gives a little fizz to the refreshing sweet-tart beverage.
10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemon peel strips (about 6 lemons)
- 3 cups lemon juice (about 14 lemons)
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- In a large saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat until
- sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon peel strips.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in lemon juice; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Discard
- lemon peel. Pour mixture into a large pitcher; gradually stir in
- club soda. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 251 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.