Homemade Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Gently spoon into an ungreased 7-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Run a knife around side and center tube of cake pan. Remove cake to a serving plate; frost. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice (prepared with reduced-fat cream cheese and reduced-fat butter) equals 526 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Lemon Chiffon Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.