Homemade Lemon Cheese Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Lightly roll out pastry into a 12-in. circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate, reserving scraps for garnish. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. Roll out pastry scraps to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out star shapes with 1-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until very thick. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in 1/2 cup lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and remaining lemon juice. Spread into crust; top with lemon filling. Refrigerate for 6 hours or until the top is set. Garnish with pastry stars. Yield: 10 servings.
One piece equals 341 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.