Homemade Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat flour, butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, in a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, extract, baking powder and salt until frothy; pour over hot crust.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool completely in dish on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, sprinkle with orange peel strips. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Lemon Bars
Sort By :
"I have not as yet made these lemon bars, but I most shurdly well. thanks for ALL d]the rec. you have sent me, and the ons yet to come. thanks again"
"I recall preparing these lemon bars and I had used a baking time at 25 minutes! I grease and flour the baking pan(s) used for easier removal of the product. The last time I'd prepared these bars was for a friend of ours and she really liked them! The suggestion made by 2 other reviewers to bake the bars at 350o F. are really helpful-I just may go and use a lower tempt. This lemon bar recipe is in the first Crate o'Recipes I have from TOH and I have the recipe in view for me to use when I want to prepare these bars again! Thank you, Denise Baumert, for sharing this recipe! By the way, the friend whom I'd made these bars for, LOVES lemon! delowenstein"
"Very good bars! The crust was really tender and the lemon extract along with the juice really makes a difference. I baked it at 350 and it turned out perfect, 375 sounds too high."
"These bars have excellent flavor. I would caution you if you want to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan. The middle won't set; it will stay runny. Stay with the original directions and they will turn out fine. however, i reduce the heat to 350 and cover with foil for half the time to avoid over browning."
"This is a great recipe. If you really like the lemon taste go ahead and add another teaspoon, I did and it was great."