Homemade Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, mix flour, butter and confectioners' sugar. Press onto bottom of an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, extract, baking powder and salt until frothy; pour over crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, sprinkle with orange peel strips. Yield: 9 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Lemon Bars(11)
Sort By :
Very good bars! The crust was really tender and the lemon extract along with the juice really makes a difference. I baked it at 350 and it turned out perfect, 375 sounds too high.
These bars have excellent flavor. I would caution you if you want to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan. The middle won't set; it will stay runny. Stay with the original directions and they will turn out fine. however, i reduce the heat to 350 and cover with foil for half the time to avoid over browning.
This is a great recipe. If you really like the lemon taste go ahead and add another teaspoon, I did and it was great.
Great dessert! I used lemon juice and zest rather than the extract and added 1 cup of shredded coconut to the filling before baking. Yummy!
Re: Lemon Bars
Love lemon bars but I never bother with a small pan (8 x 8). How do I make a 13 x 9??
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Lemon Bars >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Desserts >