Homemade Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage,. cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute sausage for 1 minute. Add chicken; saute 2 minutes longer. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic; saute for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid before serving. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 464 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 1,161 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Jambalaya
"Delicious!!! I didn't have parsley, substituted cilantro instead. Also added some corn. Only used chicken and sausage, as our daughter can't eat fish. It was very good!!! Gonna add some shrimp on side for hubby next time :-)Beware of the heat, I used less then 1/4 tsp of cayenne and it was HOT!!! I ended up dumping out some of the liquid, that really helped!Next time I am going to make some corn bread with it! This is a keeper in our family!"
"Very yummy. Disappeared very quickly. Will definitely make thus again."
"I am giving this a 5 for the flavor. It was simple to put together. I made it as directed and with Kielbasa. My problem was the rice. I did just use plain white and it didn't cook well. So for that part my review would be a 3. I will still make again and try a different brand of rice. The recipe is a keeper!"
"excellent, I didn't have the tomato, and added cheese!"
"I too made this with ham instead of chicken and did not put in cayenne due to my young children. Yummy!"
"This tasted so good, I made mine without the chicken breast and added chopped ham. Definiately going to make again!!"
"EXCELLENT Recipe!!!Note: Be SURE to use your typical cheap white rice. I used fancy stuff the first time which took too long to cook and the veggies turned to mush. Otherwise delicious and I can't wait to make it again!"
"This was an excellent recipe that turned out perfect the first time. Too bad my teams didn't win during March Madness when I made it."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.