Homemade Italian Vegetable Soup
"One night when my husband and I needed a quick supper, I threw together this satisfying soup using only what we had on hand," shares Margaret Glassic of Easton, Pennsylvania. "It's a family favorite, and it's good for us, too!"
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the pasta and tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 108 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium,