Homemade Italian Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the pasta and tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
My family loved this soup! I did make a couple of changes though. Instead of using 1 potato, I used 3 medium potatoes. I also left out the peas. I also added 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken. I substituted the diced tomatoes for 1/2 cup of tomato juice. To compensate for the extra meat added, I added enough hot water to make it a soup consistency again. It was delicious- a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese really completed it!
I used alphabets instead of shell pasta because that is all I had. GREAT!