Homemade Italian Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian-seasoned tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups cooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, water, broth and wine or additional broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add pasta; heat through. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 300 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,237 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Stew
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.