Homemade Italian Stew
Nancy Cox of Martinsville, Indiana spices up autumn evenings with this zippy stew, a blend of Italian turkey sausage, seasoned tomato broth, pasta and veggies. "This reheats well and tastes even better the next day," she says.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 2 pounds turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian-seasoned tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups cooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the
- sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer
- pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, water, broth
- and wine or additional broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 1 hour. Add pasta; heat through. Top each serving
- with 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 300 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,237 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable,