- 2 pounds turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian-seasoned tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups cooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, water, broth and wine or additional broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add pasta; heat through. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Stew
Sort By :
"I only used 1 lb of Italian sausage, and it was plenty. Even though I couldn't find italian-seasoned tomato sauce, I did find seasoned diced tomatoes. Great taste - will definitely make again."
"Everyone loves it at my house! I make it about once every two months and I always get rad complements. I do suggest that if you can't get Italian seasoned tomato sauce that you just add about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning instead. But it is delicious!"
"a friend of mine made it with italian sausage only because thats what she had. It was outstanding,it had a lot of flavor . I looked it up and will make it next week for my husband."
"This is one of my favorite recipes. I love the fresh mushrooms. Great for leftover lunch."
"This is easy to make and it's better the next day. Perfect with a salad and hot garlic bread"