Homemade Italian Sausage Stew Recipe
One day when I was preparing Italian sausages, I decided to do something different. After browning them, I put the sausages in a pot and added other ingredients, ending up with this stew that my husband and I like very much. We have four grown children and will soon celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary!
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 large green or sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown sausage; drain. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the ketchup, green pepper and parsley; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until pepper is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC