Homemade Italian Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 large green or sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown sausage; drain. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add the ketchup, green pepper and parsley; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until pepper is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sausage Stew
Sort By :
"This was very good. I made it with sweet italian turkey sausage links. My husband liked it just the way it is. I found it a bit on the spicy side so I added just a tocuh of sugar to my servinng...perfection for me. My son added a bit of sugar and then topped it with some fresh shredded parmesan. FANTASTIC! I served it with warm soft italian bread."
"I made this using sweet italian turkey sausage links. My husband liked it just the way it is. It was a bit on the spicy side for me but that is just a personal preference, so I just added a few tsps of sugar to my helping and walaa perfection! My son added a bit of sugar and some shredded fresh parmesan on top. He said it was perfection too! Thanks for a great recipe!I served it with warm soft italian bread. YUM!"
"This stew is a nice basic simple-to-make stew with a ton of flavor, but the sausage really makes it something special. I substituted the herbs with 3 tsp of italian seasoning. 3 carrots, 3 celery, 1 large onion."
"Very tasty. This is my second time making it. Served w/ homemade pita chips"