Homemade Italian Sausage Bean Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, drain. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; cook 10 minutes longer.
- 2. Add the broth, beans, water, wine or additional broth, macaroni, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered until macaroni is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup: 231 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.