- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, drain. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, beans, water, wine or additional broth, macaroni, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered until macaroni is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Sausage Bean Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p140
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review