Homemade Italian Sauce Recipe
Flavored with garlic, basil and Italian seasoning, this versatile sauce from our Test Kitchen staff will give Italian flair to all kinds of appetizing entrees. In fact, our home economists came up with the following two dishes that spotlight the zesty mixture.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Use in Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza, Tomato Artichoke Chicken or any recipe that calls for pizza sauce. Sauce may be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Yield: 5-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sauce
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2011
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2009
"Would this recipe be good to can or is there a better recipe out there for canning.Jean"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC