Homemade Italian Chicken Soup Recipe
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving cover ajar, simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; strain and reserve broth. discard vegetables and bay leaves. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones; discard. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Return broth to kettle; add tomatoes, onions, parsley, ketchup, salt, rosemary, basil, garlic and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving cover ajar, simmer for 45 minutes. Add beans, cheese and chicken; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 112 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Chicken Soup
"I have made it for years, and it is an all-time fave of my family and friends. I use my own turkey or chicken broth simmered from a cooked, stripped carcass, then use leftover turkey or chicken meat, added to the soup after the veggies are tender w/o discarding them. Varying the beans or adding rice is also very good."