Homemade Italian Chicken Soup Recipe
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving cover ajar, simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; strain and reserve broth. discard vegetables and bay leaves. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones; discard. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Return broth to kettle; add tomatoes, onions, parsley, ketchup, salt, rosemary, basil, garlic and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving cover ajar, simmer for 45 minutes. Add beans, cheese and chicken; heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 112 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Chicken Soup
"I have made it for years, and it is an all-time fave of my family and friends. I use my own turkey or chicken broth simmered from a cooked, stripped carcass, then use leftover turkey or chicken meat, added to the soup after the veggies are tender w/o discarding them. Varying the beans or adding rice is also very good."