Homemade Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
MY HUSBAND and I are retired ranchers—so beef is a frequent favorite main dish at our house. I've even written my own beef cookbook based on recipes that I've collected through the years. Everyone enjoys these hearty, tasty sandwiches that can be made for two—or any size group. —Margery Bryan Royal City, Washington
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 beef sirloin tip steaks (1/4 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 Italian rolls, split
- 1. Cut one garlic clove in half; place in a saucepan. Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon oregano; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Discard garlic clove. Remove broth from the heat and set aside.
- 2. Mince remaining garlic; place in a skillet. Add the onion, green pepper, oil and remaining oregano; cook and stir over medium heat until crisp-tender.
- 3. Remove vegetables and keep warm. Add meat to the skillet; cook over medium heat until browned on both sides. Add reserved broth; simmer for 10-12 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 4. To serve, brush cut sides of rolls with some of the broth; top with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 460 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC