Homemade Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 beef sirloin tip steaks (1/4 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 Italian rolls, split
- 1. Cut one garlic clove in half; place in a saucepan. Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon oregano; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Discard garlic clove. Remove broth from the heat and set aside.
- 2. Mince remaining garlic; place in a skillet. Add the onion, green pepper, oil and remaining oregano; cook and stir over medium heat until crisp-tender.
- 3. Remove vegetables and keep warm. Add meat to the skillet; cook over medium heat until browned on both sides. Add reserved broth; simmer for 10-12 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 4. To serve, brush cut sides of rolls with some of the broth; top with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 460 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.