Homemade Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 beef sirloin tip steaks (1/4 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 Italian rolls, split
- Cut one garlic clove in half; place in a saucepan. Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon oregano; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Discard garlic clove. Remove broth from the heat and set aside.
- Mince remaining garlic; place in a skillet. Add the onion, green pepper, oil and remaining oregano; cook and stir over medium heat until crisp-tender.
- Remove vegetables and keep warm. Add meat to the skillet; cook over medium heat until browned on both sides. Add reserved broth; simmer for 10-12 minutes or until meat is tender.
- To serve, brush cut sides of rolls with some of the broth; top with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now