Homemade Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 to 4 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Shape dough into a ball and place on a greased baking pan. Pat into a 7-in. round loaf. Cut a 4-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top to allow for expansion. Brush top with milk.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 222 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Irish Soda Bread
"Very good, moist. Well received at a gathering this evening."
"Made this two years in a row and my friends and family devour it and I get asked for the recipe."
"This is a keeper"
"I will make this for St Pat's day- thanks!"
"Sounds delicious. Something I would definitely try."