Homemade Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 to 4 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Shape dough into a ball and place on a greased baking pan. Pat into a 7-in. round loaf. Cut a 4-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top to allow for expansion. Brush top with milk.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 222 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Irish Soda Bread
"excellent recipe- as i find I do not care for the caraway seed- I just eliminated it. I like it with craisens a lot too"
"Very good, moist. Well received at a gathering this evening."
"Made this two years in a row and my friends and family devour it and I get asked for the recipe."
"This is a keeper"
"I will make this for St Pat's day- thanks!"
"Sounds delicious. Something I would definitely try."