Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
- 8 cups milk, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups milk to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg yolks; add remaining milk and mix well. Combine 2 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Add to hot milk and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour into a clean bowl; set aside.
- 3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into warm milk mixture. Beat in vanilla and cream until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 204 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Ice Cream
"I have been trying different ice cream recipe to make with raw fresh milk. This one is without a doubt the best I've tried. The consistency is like good boughten ice cream, but the flavour is out of this world! Try it with 2 cups of strawberry purée !"
"Verty good ice cream. I have always made the quick ice that don't have to be cooked, but I think this is worth the extra time and effort."
"Thank you for sharing your family recipe for this homemade ice cream. It is the best homemade vanilla ice cream that we have ever made. This recipe is one that I will hand down to my family."
"This is the best homemade ice cream I have ever had. We made it for my sons birthday party. We will be making this one again."