Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
- 8 cups milk, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups milk to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg yolks; add remaining milk and mix well. Combine 2 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Add to hot milk and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour into a clean bowl; set aside.
- 3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into warm milk mixture. Beat in vanilla and cream until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 204 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.