- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, shortening, butter, egg, water and vanilla until well blended. Divide into four equal parts.
- Between waxed paper, roll one part into a 10x6-in. rectangle. Remove one piece of waxed paper and invert dough onto a ungreased baking sheet. Score the dough into eight pieces, each 3x2-1/2 in. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed. Immediately cut along the scored lines and prick holes in each piece with a fork. Cool on wire racks.
- Cut ice cream into 16 slices, each 3x2-1/2x1 in. Place ice cream slice between two chocolate cookies; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze on a baking sheet overnight. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
"I keep coming back to this recipe because it reminds me of the ice cream sandwiches I ate as a kid. Instead of making them square, I usually make a round shape and have varied the size from a 2" circle to a 3" circle. ANY flavor of cake mix works. Using a lemon cake mix was a refreshing change from chocolate. This recipe is a quick prep!"
"OMG! These are grrrrrrrrreat! Better than the stores. Didn't last at my house and there's only two of us! Husband is already wanting more. I think he's addicted! I appreciate you sharing the recipe."
"I cant have shorting and can I try 1/2 cup butter instead of 1/4 cup of shorting and 1/4 cup of butter. please send firstname.lastname@example.org"
"So easy and so good. Tastes just like the store bought. Hubby loved them too."
"In High School Ice Cream Sandwiches were my favorite dessert at lunch. I have wished for years to find a chocolate cookie to make really good sandwiches - well now - I Have! This recipe for the chocolate cookies is perfect. The shapes and flavors are exactly right. I do love the chocolate as these deliver very well. I am also inspired to think that cookies of other flavors, could work out well. I'm thinking Raspberry and/or Orange would work out very well. The variety of Ice Cream gives you a world of special flavor combos with the new cookie flavors."
"I have been looking for a recipe that mimics store bought ice cream cookies. This is the first one that appears to be close. Can't wait to try it! I will review again after I have tried them."
"I made this for my little sister and the kids in the neighborhood... they gobbled them up within a minute!"