Meet the Cook: My mom sent me this recipe. We love it, and so does company I serve it to. I inherited my love of cooking from my mother. She's a former home economics teacher. When we were growing up, each of us five kids had a night a week when we planned and prepared supper for the rest of the family. Our home is "way out in the sticks", 15 miles from town and 5 miles from the nearest neighbor. My husband and I have a son, 20, and a daughter, 17. -Kea Fisher, Bridger, Montana
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, shortening, butter, egg, water and vanilla until well blended. Divide into four equal parts.
- Between waxed paper, roll one part into a 10x6-in. rectangle. Remove one piece of waxed paper and invert dough onto a ungreased baking sheet. Score the dough into eight pieces, each 3x2-1/2 in. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed. Immediately cut along the scored lines and prick holes in each piece with a fork. Cool on wire racks.
- Cut ice cream into 16 slices, each 3x2-1/2x1 in. Place ice cream slice between two chocolate cookies; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze on a baking sheet overnight. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches in Country Woman May/June 1997, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review