- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, shortening, butter, egg, water and vanilla until well blended. Divide into four equal parts.
- Between waxed paper, roll one part into a 10x6-in. rectangle. Remove one piece of waxed paper and invert dough onto a ungreased baking sheet. Score the dough into eight pieces, each 3x2-1/2 in. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed. Immediately cut along the scored lines and prick holes in each piece with a fork. Cool on wire racks.
- Cut ice cream into 16 slices, each 3x2-1/2x1 in. Place ice cream slice between two chocolate cookies; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze on a baking sheet overnight. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
"OMG! These are grrrrrrrrreat! Better than the stores. Didn't last at my house and there's only two of us! Husband is already wanting more. I think he's addicted! I appreciate you sharing the recipe."
"I cant have shorting and can I try 1/2 cup butter instead of 1/4 cup of shorting and 1/4 cup of butter. please send email@example.com"
"So easy and so good. Tastes just like the store bought. Hubby loved them too."
"In High School Ice Cream Sandwiches were my favorite dessert at lunch. I have wished for years to find a chocolate cookie to make really good sandwiches - well now - I Have! This recipe for the chocolate cookies is perfect. The shapes and flavors are exactly right. I do love the chocolate as these deliver very well. I am also inspired to think that cookies of other flavors, could work out well. I'm thinking Raspberry and/or Orange would work out very well. The variety of Ice Cream gives you a world of special flavor combos with the new cookie flavors."
"I have been looking for a recipe that mimics store bought ice cream cookies. This is the first one that appears to be close. Can't wait to try it! I will review again after I have tried them."
"I made this for my little sister and the kids in the neighborhood... they gobbled them up within a minute!"