Homemade Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place beef and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the flour, paprika, garlic salt and pepper; sprinkle over beef and stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes; add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Discard bay leaf. Just before serving, stir in sour cream; heat through. Serve with noodles.
b>Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, cool stew. Freeze stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.