Homemade Hot Cocoa
This recipe will make people think you fussed but it is so simple.—Hershey Food Corporation, Cheryl Reitz, Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Miniature marshmallows, sweetened whipped cream or cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and salt. Add water; bring to a
- boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk; heat to serving
- temperature (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Whisk until frothy. If desired, garnish with marshmallows, cream or
- cinnamon sticks. Yield: 5 cups.
For Swiss Mocha Cocoa: Add 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee with vanilla. For Canadian Cocoa: Add 1/2 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring with vanilla. For Slim-Trim Cocoa: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water. Substitute fat-free milk. Proceed as above. Stir in vanilla with artificial sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 211 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium,