Homemade Hash Browns
Hosting a large brunch gathering? A big batch of these hearty hash browns from our Test Kitchen is sure to be popular. The recipe makes a lot, so if you're feeding a few, you can use the leftovers in the two dishes that follow.
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 pounds medium potatoes
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil;
- cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender but
- still firm. Cool slightly; peel and shred.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the peppers and onion in butter. Add the
- shredded potatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until golden
- brown. Yield: 12 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 199 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.