Homemade Gumdrops Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups applesauce
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, red or green gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Immediately pour into a cold 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- With a spatula, loosen gelatin from sides of pan. To remove, invert onto waxed paper. Using kitchen scissors or small sharp cookie cutters dipped on hot water, cut into 1-in. squares or shapes.
- Place on waxed paper. Dry at room temperature for about 8 hours or until slightly sticky. Roll in remaining sugar. Store in an airtight container. Yield: About 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews for Homemade Gumdrops(26)
Sort By :
Very good recipe. These are not chewy corn syrup gumdrops... these are more like a soft fruit gel. I halved the recipe because I only bought one box each of two flavors. It worked great. I used black cherry and for green I used "Jolly Rancher Green Apple gelatin" that I found at Wal-Mart. The only reason I didn't give it a 5-star is because they really remind me of Jello jigglers rolled in sugar. The flavors are good but very jello-artificial if you know what I mean Kids loved them.
Yummy! I Just Made some Cherry Gumdrops that have turned out wonderul!! Will be making the Lime/ Green ones tonight! Very Easy, the hardest part is cutting them up, and that is NOT heard at all.
These were delicious but too soft. I think I will add another package of unflavored gelatin next time. Also I had to dry them some more after sugar coating them and after a day they were still quite soft. Maybe my humidity was too high.
Thanks for the info! I have a few diabetics in the family who will no longer be left without these tasty little trats! *treats*
Thanks for the info! I have a few diabetics in the family who will no longer be left without these tasty little trats!