Homemade Gumdrops Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups applesauce
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, red or green gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Immediately pour into a cold 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- With a spatula, loosen gelatin from sides of pan. To remove, invert onto waxed paper. Using kitchen scissors or small sharp cookie cutters dipped on hot water, cut into 1-in. squares or shapes.
- Place on waxed paper. Dry at room temperature for about 8 hours or until slightly sticky. Roll in remaining sugar. Store in an airtight container. Yield: About 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews for Homemade Gumdrops(24)
Sort By :
These were delicious but too soft. I think I will add another package of unflavored gelatin next time. Also I had to dry them some more after sugar coating them and after a day they were still quite soft. Maybe my humidity was too high.
Thanks for the info! I have a few diabetics in the family who will no longer be left without these tasty little trats! *treats*
Thanks for the info! I have a few diabetics in the family who will no longer be left without these tasty little trats!
I made them "adult" style...using a cheesecloth I strained the applesauce and substituted tequila for the liquid that strained out. then rolled them in a vanilla rim sugar. BIG HIT!!
Just a note answering my own question. I made these gumdrops with sugar free Jello and Splenda baking sugar. I even rolled them in the Splenda and they are just as good. I even used a silicone mold and it released (relatively) easily with just a bit if oil. Valentine's day..Yummy.