Your friends and family will remember these chewy, fruity candies long after they've licked the last bit of sugar off their fingers! They're a great gift any time of year. —Christin Holt, Kingsburg, California
70 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + standing
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups applesauce
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, red or green
- gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1
- minute. Immediately pour into a cold 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish
- coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- With a spatula, loosen gelatin from sides of pan. To remove, invert
- onto waxed paper. Using kitchen scissors or small sharp cookie
- cutters dipped on hot water, cut into 1-in. squares or shapes.
- Place on waxed paper. Dry at room temperature for about 8 hours or
- until slightly sticky. Roll in remaining sugar. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: About 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 35 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.