Homemade Grape Nuts Recipe
I began making this recipe to save cereal costs for our family of six. Everyone loves the hearty flavor that just can't be found in packaged cereals.
- 7 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk, butter, vanilla and maple flavoring if desired, until combined. Spread into six greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Reduce heat to 250°. Break mixture into pieces. Cover and process in batches in a food processor until small pieces are formed; return to baking pans. Bake for 1 hour or until light brown and crisp, stirring every 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers. Serve as a cereal with milk. Yield: 5 quarts.
3/4 cup: 238 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Grape Nuts
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC