Homemade Grape Nuts
I began making this recipe to save cereal costs for our family of six. Everyone loves the hearty flavor that just can't be found in packaged cereals.
26 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 35 min. + cooling
- 7 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and
- salt. Stir in the buttermilk, butter, vanilla and maple flavoring if
- desired, until combined. Spread into six greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Reduce heat
- to 250°. Break mixture into pieces. Cover and process in batches
- in a food processor until small pieces are formed; return to baking
- pans. Bake for 1 hour or until light brown and crisp, stirring every
- 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers. Serve as a cereal with
- milk. Yield: 5 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 238 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium,